My Flat Tire Calling.

1:34 PM

You have your whole day planned and organized. You've planned it in such a way that everything will work out perfectly. There is nothing holding you back from a productive, beautiful day! And you're excited to get started, but JUST KIDDING! Congratulations, you have a flat tire. The tire is so flat that you can't leave your driveway! Your husband is at work and the all the demands start to scream louder. Your whole day starts to crash, break, burn and crumble apart and the only thing you can do is watch. Now you're facing missed appointments, unachievable goals, lost time and enough intense and aggravated emotion to start World War III. 

As I type this, I still feel an overwhelming amount of aggravation because I missed my hair appointment that I've been trying to schedule for weeks, I have errands that I now how to put off till later, an afternoon of work wasted and my day of being a productive wife has gone down the drain. Now I'm having to plan out the rest of my day around my flat tire. It's just been a super duper day.

If I'm being honest, my first reaction was to spit fire and curse the tire manufacturer, Nissan, my car, and the whole situation. And I did. Of course while I was saying the angry things that felt great at the moment, the Holy Spirit tapped on my heart and said, "Wow. Really?" My first initial response is "Yes really! I'm really ticked off!" and "Of course these things happen, because these things happen, and that's why they happen!" As the great, Ethel Merman says in the 1963 film, "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World!"

Fast forward I got back to my desk, huffing and acting like a child because I didn't get my way. The holy spirit put the question on my heart, "What is you're calling today?". I then imagine the Holy Spirit dropping a microphone and walking off a stage. "DAG NAB IT! I blew it again." I dropped the ball in the opportunity to fulfill my calling to react and be like Christ. 

What is my calling in this mess? To live in the spirit, to not worry and be anxious for nothing.

Philippians 4:6
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

See, what you don't know is that I battle worry and anxiety every single day of my life. I struggle to trust God and not panic. I worry about everything. I have realized within the past few years that worry and anxiety is an idol for me. Let me break it down for you and explain, I take my eyes off Christ, I want to take control of my life, I don't trust Him with all my heart, I become selfish, and selfishness is prideful. Pride is sin and God hates pride. Of course, that path always leads me to a place in my heart filled with darkness and anxiety.

To drive this home, I missed my calling today. I missed the opportunity to react like Christ and not worry and panic. I am called as a Believer to live according to the word and how Christ calls us to live in love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, SELF CONTROL. 

Galatians 5:22-26
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,n 23gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. 24Now those who belong to the Messiah Jesus have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also be guided. 26 Let’s stop being arrogant, provoking one another and envying one another.

So what is your calling today? How can you turn things around and react? How can you fulfill your calling? 

And remember, don't let your hair grow so long that you look like a walking birds nest.

Peace to you, along with all the fruits of the spirit. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images